ALRA in liquidation: information for students, employees and creditors


On April 12, 2022, liquidation orders were made against ALRA (company number: 04306353) and the court appointed the official receiver as liquidator.

The duty of the Official Receiver is to liquidate ALRA, for the benefit of the company’s creditors. The official receiver also has a duty to investigate the conduct of current and former directors.

Information for students

ALRA is in liquidation and has ceased business operations with all services cancelled.

Current students should contact the St Mary’s University helpline on [email protected] or call 020 8240 8284 for help and advice.

Information for employees

If you have been notified that you are being made redundant, the information in this section provides guidance on how to claim any monies owed to you and where you can seek assistance.

Who is eligible?

You can ask the Insolvency Service for a dismissal and other payments if:

You cannot apply to the Insolvency Service if you are resident in Northern Ireland. Find out about your rights in Northern Ireland if your employer is insolvent.

How to register

The official receiver will give you details on how to apply and will also give you a file reference number (eg CN12345678).

Once you have this information, you can apply online.

What you can ask

What you can request depends on your situation. The Insolvency Service can pay:

  • severance pay: if you have worked for ALRA for at least 2 years
  • prorated holiday pay (known as “accumulated holiday pay”): the unused leave to which you were entitled between the start of your leave year and the date you were made redundant.
  • paid leave (HPT): if the ALRA did not pay you the annual leave you took before being laid off
  • money owed to you by the ALRA: for example unpaid wages, overtime and commissions
  • statutory notice indemnity: if you have worked for ALRA for at least 1 month

There are caps on what we can pay you for each type of claim. Find out how much we can pay you.

Information for creditors

You will need to register as a creditor in the liquidation if:

  • you have not been paid for goods or services you have provided to ALRA (in liquidation)
  • you paid ALRA (in liquidation) for goods or services that you did not receive
  • you are an independent worker or contractor who has provided services to ALRA

To register as a creditor you will need to complete a Proof of Debt form which you will then need to email to: [email protected]

Once you have registered and the Official Receiver receives your Proof of Debt form, they will add you to the list of creditors and include you in future correspondence regarding the case.


About Author

Comments are closed.